Saguache News – January 5
Town Trustees: Serving Ain’t for Sissys
No matter where you turn, when the discussion comes to politics, everyone seems to be shying away. But that never solved anything. And in small rural communities like Saguache, Town management is the axle that keeps the wheel turning.
So with the New Year, comes the reborn hope for democracy, along with the following information from Saguache’s Mayor Pro-Tem and Trustee Luana Lovato regarding the town’s upcoming election this April and the positions that are open.
A Public Service Announcement Submitted by Luana Lovato, Saguache Mayor Pro-Temp
The Town of Saguache needs citizens to run for the Office of Town Trustee, or Mayor. During the last election cycle, I challenged the citizens of Saguache to consider running for a position on the Town Board. I was so happy to see citizens step up and run for office.
The Town of Saguache has made great strides in the last 6 months and is headed in a good direction. It would be awesome if citizens decided to become involved in the future of our Town and run for office. Petition packets are available beginning January 2, 2018, and must be returned with the required verified signatures by January 22, 2018. Packets are available at the Town Hall located at 504 San Juan Ave., Saguache Colorado. There is a very short window to collect signatures on the petitions. All you need is a minimum of 10 signatures.
Anyone interested in giving back to our wonderful community and help direct the future of Saguache should definitely run for office. These are very important appointments for our Town. 2018 TOWN OF SAGUACHE MUNICIPAL ELECTIONS The Town of Saguache Regular Municipal Elections are held on the first Tuesday of April in even numbered years by polling place ballot locations. For the 2018 election that date will be Tuesday, April 3, 2018. At each election, eligible electors can vote for candidates nominated to fill vacancies on the Board of Trustees.
Eligibility Requirements (C.R.S 31-10-301) to run:
- Candidate must be at least 18 years of age by the date of the election (Tuesday, April 3, 2018).
- Candidate must be a registered voter by the time of the candidate’s nomination.
- Candidate must be a primary resident of the Town of Saguache for a period of at least 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the election.
- Candidate must maintain residency throughout the term in office.
- Candidate must have resided within the State of Colorado for at least 22 days prior to the election.
- Candidate must be properly registered with the Saguache County Clerk and Recorder.
- Candidate may not be a candidate for more than one office at the same election or hold two municipal offices.
There are a number of Saguache Town positions that need to be filled in 2018.
- The Mayor of Saguache
- Town Trustees (5 out of the six positions need to be filled)
- (3) four-year positions
- (2) two-year positions.
The three four-year Trustee positions (2018-2022) shall be awarded to the candidates receiving the highest number of votes. The two candidates receiving the next highest vote totals will fill the two positions with a term expiration of 2020.
Candidate packets can be obtained at the Saguache Town hall at 504 San Juan Avenue. For information regarding the election and the election calendar please click the link below or contact the Town Clerk at 719-655-2232 or by email at email@example.com or visit town hall.